Root canal therapy is used to find the natural cavity in the pulp area of the tooth. If the pulp gets injured or infected, the tissues and nerves die which could lead to severe infection that spreads eventually to other teeth as well. If this infection is not treated immediately it can result in bone loss around the root, swelling and pain in the tooth, face, neck, and head, a hole at the side of the tooth which can cause abrasion of gums teeth, and skin
Root canal specialist is called endodontist and the department that deals specifically with tooth pulp disease and surrounding tissues is called endodontics. However, root canal treatment can also be done by the dentist, but endodontists take over when the issue gets complicated. Endodontists are also dentists, but they have specialized and trained themself to deal only with root canal treatments.
Orion Dental Specialties in Cypress, Texas is known for root canal therapy provided by a root canal dentist. With advanced tools and years of experience, Dr. Melanie and Dr. Farnam Farzam provide the best treatment methods to their patients. If you don’t want a dental implant they can still help you with a painless treatment of root canal therapy.
Process of Root Canal Therapy
- The dentist will remove everything inside the root canal with a small file which includes all dead nerves and damaged pulp tissues.
- The dentist will then clean and decontaminate the hollow area with the help of tools and irrigation solution and fill it with rubber-like material using an adhesive cement to seal it.
- A crown is placed on the top of the tooth to protect it from rough food particles that may enter the hole and create plaque. Remember, that tooth has now become fragile and it needs nourishment from the ligament, thus crown or filling is necessary.
Please Note: Remember, after root canal therapy the tooth is completely dead because all the dead nerves and pulp has been removed from it. So, during the procedure, the patient does not feel any pain in that tooth. Therefore, a sedation process is not required.
Post root canal treatment
- The root canal therapy may be a seamless process, but a patient might feel tissue inflammation or a little discomfort after the treatment method.
- Request a doctor to prescribe an anti-inflammatory drug and purchase it from the nearby pharmacy.
- Your dentist may ask you to revisit for a follow-up.
- Ask your dentist if there is any change required in food and drinking habits during the healing process.
Root canal therapy is done only when the pulp and nerves are infected due to any severe gum disease, infection, plaque, tartar, injury, etc. Oral healthcare is extremely important to maintain the good health of the tooth.
- Brush your teeth every day early morning and at night before going to bed.
- Use toothpaste that has fluoride in it.
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush and change it frequently.
- Visit your dental clinic regularly for oral checkups.
- Flossing is necessary twice a week to prevent the building up of plaque.
- Avoid unhealthy food like chocolates, sticky gums, sugary drinks, and foods that can stick to your teeth and build up bacteria,
Root canals are better than replacing natural teeth. However, if the condition is severe and the root canal cannot save the tooth, then the next option is a dental implant.